Probing Pooch Severely Poisoned by Eating 600 Sleep Supplements

Toxin Tales 2021 winners also announced

MINNEAPOLIS, January 12, 2022 / PRNewswire / – Mike Axthelm came home to find his dog Mav foaming at his mouth. When he arrived at the veterinary clinic, the nine-year-old Labrador was blind and passed out. Mav had taken up to 600 sleep supplements and the country veterinarian who treated him was about to treat her first case of the rare but potentially fatal serotonin syndrome.

Maverick, affectionately known as Mav, survived an extremely dangerous condition known as serotonin syndrome after taking up to 600 sleep supplements.

“When we found the empty supplement bottle, we knew what happened because our lab is going to eat it all.”

The market for dietary supplements is outdated $ 140 billion annually and is expected to grow. While many people benefit from these dietary supplements, their increasing popularity in households has resulted in an increased risk of accidental pet poisoning.

“Like medication, dietary supplements can pose a serious threat to pets if accidentally ingested,” said Dr. Renee Schmid, a senior veterinary toxicologist at the Pet Poison Helpline. “Pet owners should store their supplements like prescription medication as they can quickly cause serious health problems and potentially death to their pets.”

“My son and his wife were visiting,” explained Axthelm, “and she had brought a bottle of sleeping pills and left it in her room when we went out. When we got home, Mav (short for Maverick) behaved super guilty and went into hiding We found he had a bowel movement around the house, which he never does, and was foaming at his mouth. When we found the empty supplement bottle, we knew what happened because our lab is going to eat it all. “

Axthelm called his local vet Dr. Amy Stockton from The Stock Doc Veterinary Services, who advised him to call the Pet Poison Helpline. When Axthelm Mav drove to the hospital, the toxicology experts at the Pet Poison Helpline were busy analyzing the ingredients of the dietary supplement. They found that Mav had ingested a highly toxic amount of 5-HTP, a compound that helps increase serotonin levels in the brain. Too much can cause GI signs, CNS stimulation, and serotonin syndrome, a condition that occurs when there is too much serotonin in the body.

“They were shocked when they called,” explained Dr. Stockton. “When they got here, we had the 5-HTP information from the Pet Poison Helpline and were able to start treatment immediately based on their recommendations. I initially started using diazepam to respond to Mav’s seizures but was advised that it is contraindicated (not recommended). for use in Mav’s situation. “Certain drugs, such as benzodiazepines, which include diazepam, can potentially worsen the neurological signs of anxiety and dysphoria that can occur with serotonin syndrome.

“We’re big fans of the Pet Poison Helpline,” added Dr. Stockton added. “They have a huge database of the most up-to-date information. It is invaluable for both pet owners and veterinarians to know whether or not this is an emergency and how potential treatment drugs can interact with the original causes of the poisoning.”

When he got there, Mav had been having seizures for 15 minutes. He was unconscious, his pupils were dilated and unresponsive, frothy foam came out of both nostrils, and stinky stool ran out of his rectum.

“This was my first case of serotonin syndrome in my 25 years of practice,” said Dr. Stockton. “We started on injectable keppra, which did absolutely nothing for him, so we gave him an extra dose. Still trembling, he received my entire supply of methocarbamol IV. That didn’t help much, so we crushed pills and gave rectally. We did then given phenobarbital and his dose of cyproheptadine crushed and given rectally. “

Mav’s starting temperature of 105.5 began to drop with cool fluids and his blood pressure remained within a normal range throughout the ordeal. Within four hours, his pupils were less dilated and slightly responsive to light. Within eight hours he was conscious and responsive, and within twelve hours he was weak, but up and down to ease himself. It took three doses of the cyproheptadine four hours apart to treat his serotonin syndrome. While Dr. When Stockton was able to treat Mav with the drugs available, she taught them the importance of having injectable methocarbamol and keppra on hand.

“We were lucky to have a solution that worked,” added Dr. Stockton added, “But thank goodness for the two new injectable supplements on my shelf. I now have these drugs in stock to treat a larger, future patient.” Dr. Stockton was so impressed with Mav’s case that she nominated him Poison tails.

Pet poison helpline created Poison tails educate veterinarians and animal lovers about the many types of poisoning hazards pets can face, both inside and outside the home. Alone . marked pets Poison tails were successfully treated for the poisoning and have fully recovered. Mav will qualify for the 2022 competition, but the 2021 winner has just been announced.

Fall of the year 2021 winners announced
“Following our online vote, we are pleased to announce that Numa is our Toxin Tails Case of 2021, a service dog for a seizure child who had seizures himself after taking ant venom,” said Dr. Schmid. “Numa and her human family will be given a basket of fun Pet Poison Helpline Swag, and the hospital team that treated them, Pearland 288 Animal Emergency Clinic, will be given 10 free poisoning sessions and lunch for their staff,” said Dr. Schmid.

Via the animal poison helpline
Pet Poison Helpline, an animal poison control center based in Minneapolis, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to pet owners and veterinarians who need help treating a potentially poisoned pet. The veterinarians and state-certified toxicologists advise on the treatment of poisoning cases of all animal species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic animals. As the most cost-effective option to combat animal poisoning, the Pet Poison Helpline fee is $ 65 per incident includes follow-up consultations for the duration of the poisonous incident. The pet poison hotline is available in North America by phone at 800-213-6680. More information is available online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

Contact: Dr. Renee Schmid
Animal poison hotline
(952) 806-3803
RSchmid@petpoisonhelpline.com

(PRNewsfoto / Helpline for animal poisons)

(PRNewsfoto / Helpline for animal poisons)

Cision

Cision

View original content to download multimedia: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/probing-pooch-severely-poisoned-by-eating-600-sleep-supplements-301458836.html

SOURCE Pet Poison Helpline

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *