Heartbreak As Puppy Has To Be Put To Sleep After Visit To Groomers

A heartbroken dog owner wants Scotland’s zookeepers regulated after their puppy Harry was euthanized after a visit to a salon where he was put in a “dry cage”.

Eight-month-old Cockapoo, bought for £ 2,350 in October 2020, suffered a collapsed bowel shortly after being put in a dry cage by a groomer.

Mother of one child Lisa O’Neill, 37, took Harry to an award-winning hair salon in February 2021 and returned on May 6.

Image credit: SWNS

Harry was put to sleep on May 8th after being rushed to Vets Now Hospital in Glasgow.

Lisa, a policewoman from Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, is campaigning for dog barbers to be regulated, which animal welfare chiefs believe must be done.

The SSPCA said Harry’s death was not clinically due to the groomers, but supported demands for regulations.

Lisa said, “As an excited puppy, he didn’t like being locked up anywhere, so he would have been jumping around in a dry box the whole time.

“He was taken to Vets Now in Glasgow for treatment, but unfortunately the complication resulting from heat stroke meant his blood did not clot.

“This was two days after it happened and we wanted to operate on him to save him, but it couldn’t go on because his blood was not clotting due to his severe heat stroke.

“I had to sit down with him while they put him to sleep.”

Image credit: SWNS
Image credit: SWNS

Lisa added, “It’s amazing how many dog ​​owners don’t know about dry boxes, drop off their dog and have no idea whether or not they will be locked in a box.”

Scottish SPCA Chief Inspector Laura McIntyre said: “In May 2021, we were investigating the heartbreaking death of a dog who fell ill shortly after being in a dry cage with a groomer.

“The dog was taken to a private veterinarian, where unfortunately his condition worsened and he was eventually euthanized.

“We arranged for an autopsy to be carried out by an external organization to fully investigate the circumstances.

“This autopsy showed that the dog had not died of heat stroke. A follow-up examination was also carried out by a Scottish SPCA veterinarian.

“Given the clinical view of veterinary experts that the cause of death was not heat stroke or some other problem attributed to the treatment in the groomers, the investigation was discontinued.”

Image credit: SWNS
Image credit: SWNS

A Scottish Government spokesman said: “We are committed to ensuring high animal welfare standards for pets in Scotland.

“It is a criminal offense for animal stewards to cause them unnecessary suffering, and we recently increased the maximum sentences to five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

“We have introduced a new framework for licensing some activities with animals and we will discuss whether this should be expanded to include additional activities, including possibly dog ​​grooming companies.

“We plan to move forward to consultations in this area after a familiarization period with the most recent permit changes, so that the practical experience of the local authorities in implementing them can be incorporated into future proposals.

“We encourage anyone who has information about animal abuse to bring it to the attention of the Scottish Police, their local authority or the Scottish SPCA.”

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *